Sunday, November 9, 2008

Sweet is the Peace

With all of the emotion and contention I have been feeling in the world this last week or so I have sought to feel peace. On the 5th, when all the results of the election were becoming final and protests and rallies were beginning to take place, I desperately sought to bring peace into my home. I couldn't sit and read scriptures because dinner needed to be prepared and McKay was anxious to help me and have my attention. So, I went to the Church's website and started streaming this October General Conference. Instantly, the Spirit of the Lord filled our home and I felt peace.

The closing hymn for the Saturday Afternoon session was 'We Thank Thee, O God, for a Prophet' and even though I was busy in the kitchen, I was impressed by the significance of the hymn, especially the second verse.

We thank thee, O God, for a prophet
To guide us in these latter days.
We thank thee for sending the gospel
To lighten our minds with its rays.
We thank thee for every blessing
Bestowed by thy bounteous hand.
We feel it a pleasure to serve thee
And love to obey thy command.

When dark clouds of trouble hang o’er us
And threaten our peace to destroy,
There is hope smiling brightly before us,
And we know that deliv’rance is nigh.
We doubt not the Lord nor his goodness.
We’ve proved him in days that are past.
The wicked who fight against Zion
Will surely be smitten at last.

We’ll sing of his goodness and mercy.
We’ll praise him by day and by night,
Rejoice in his glorious gospel,
And bask in its life-giving light.
Thus on to eternal perfection
The honest and faithful will go,
While they who reject this glad message
Shall never such happiness know.

I am so grateful for a living prophet today who 'guides us in these latter days' and for the power of music.

In October 1978, Elder Neal A. Maxwell gave a devotional address at BYU entitled 'Meeting the Challenges of Today.' He said:

"Discipleship includes good citizenship; and in this connection, if you are careful students of the statements of the modern prophets, you will have noticed that with rare exceptions -- especially when the First Presidency has spoken out -- the concerns expressed have been over moral issues, not issues between political parties. The declarations are about principles, not people, and causes, not candidates. On occasions, at other levels in the Church, a few have not been so discreet, so wise, or so inspired.

But make no mistake about it, brothers and sisters; in the months and years ahead, events will require of each member that he or she decide whether or not he or she will follow the First Presidency. Members will find it more difficult to halt longer between two opinions (see 1 Kings 18:21)

President Marion G. Romney said, many years ago, that he had "never hesitated to follow the counsel of the Authorities of the Church even though it crossed my social, professional, or political life" (CR, April 1941, p.123). This is a hard doctrine, but it is a particularly vital doctrine in a society which is becoming more wicked. In short, brothers and sisters, not being ashamed of the gospel of Jesus Christ includes not being ashamed of the prophets of Jesus Christ."

Notice the date this address was given: October 10, 1978. Thirty years ago we, as a people (I wasn't around then...) were warned by the Lord's 'watchman on the tower' about what is happening TODAY. 'We’ve [definitely] proved him in days that are past.' What other counsel has the Lord given us, through His servants, that we should be following?

4 comments:

FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY said...

I've been struggling this week too. It's so easy to spend too much time watching the news, and it's not bringing me much peace! So just today, I decided the same thing, to focus more on the council of our prophets and less on the fabulous media!

Devin and Melinda said...

Thank goodness for the prophet...we don't need to fear what is going on around us, but follow the prophet's council to prepare. Reminders are great every now and then.

Becky said...

I love our prophet! I love the feeling we have when we follow his counsel. He is truly called of God.

Jennifer said...

Thanks for the thoughts Maria. I totally agree with the power of music. It is one of the fastest ways to change the mood. Crazy times we live in!