Monday, January 11, 2010

The First Week of a New Year

So far this year:
  • McKay has decided he doesn't need to sleep during nap time. Once McKay makes up his mind, we are finding it is difficult to change it. He did take a nap after church on Sunday though, when we told him if he slept he could have a cookie when he woke up. First thing he said when he woke up? Cookie! We are NOT giving up on naps yet!
  • I have been doing menu's based around what is on sale at the store. I usually plan our meals around what is on sale but this time I am writing it down and making sure I have all the ingredients for what I plan to make. I am also making a special effort to make sure we have lots of fruit and vegetables at each meal (again... it is SO EASY to slack off on this one). I LOVE knowing what is for dinner ahead of time. Now if I can just keep it up all year...
  • Jordan started off the year by working the first Saturday after we got back. That made my week of no naps longer but it is nice to have his Saturday for the year out of the way.
  • Our church is at 9 am and we are surprised to say we love it! We came home, had dinner, took naps, had home evening and spent the evening together. Something about having church at 1 pm with a toddler has made us love 9 am. AND we were even early, something that was awfully hard to do with the 1 pm time. Hope we can keep that up all year too. :)
  • I've started a list of meals we enjoy, categorized by main ingredients, for those times when I have NO IDEA what to make and nothing sounds good.
  • I am definitely in the 'honeymoon' phase of pregnancy. My energy has returned for the most part and my belly is growing by the day (it seems anyway). Our boy is very active and I LOVE IT!
  • McKay and I went to the library today and replenished our supply of books to read. We also went to the grocery store and since I only needed a couple of things, we just used a small basket. My helper held one handle and I held the other until it was too heavy and then we both held both handles. We used the self check-out and McKay insisted on bagging the groceries for me. It definitely would have been easier to use a cart but then we wouldn't have made several people smile at us throughout the store!
  • I am trying to get as much as I can done now, before tax season hits in full force since I will only have a month after it ends before our baby is born. 4 months really isn't all that long when you think of it that way!
  • After a couple of weeks of fighting with my new haircut, my hair will be curly for a while. It looks cute (or so people at church told me) I like it again!
  • Jordan has basketball twice a week now that the church basketball tournament has started. He is also doing a 10k the first Saturday in February.
  • McKay has been eating a ton. I think he must be going through a growth spurt. His nursery leaders even noticed he was eating a lot.
  • It's gonna be a great year!

5 comments:

Nicky said...

Please post pregnancy pictures, and of your new curly hair cut...sounds cute!

Brooke said...

I was thinking the same thing about you needing to post pics of your growing belly and new haircut. I'm sure you look great!

We just changed from 9:00 church to 11:30 and it's so WEIRD! I like getting to sleep in a little bit, but it's such a horrible time for kids with naps and lunch. Plus--by the time we get home (after meetings and things)--we don't have much sunlight left. I hope I get used to it.

And, good luck with the naps! It's so hard once they decide they're done with them.

Devin and Melinda said...

Naps? Enjoy! Take advantage while you still can!
We are back at the late church and are NOT loving it. Although I do have to say that 1:00 is better than 2:00.
I need to be more organized for meals too. I never remember to make a menu until I am trying to decided what to make for dinner or I am at the store and hoping that I don't need anything I'm not buying....so thanks for the reminder, maybe I'll do get it done today :)

Nicky said...

I LOVE your new picture at the top!

Baird Family said...

It sounds like you guys are doing awesome! Don't blink that little boy will be here before you know it and your little McKay will seem very big all at once. We hope that all is well.