Monday, June 16, 2008

Ouch!

I had quite the scare tonight. McKay likes to be in the kitchen with me while I am cooking dinner so I try to keep him occupied by letting him play in the Tupperware cupboard or in my lid drawer. Tonight was the Tupperware cupboard. He was playing and having a great time. I only opened one side of it (they are old so he can't get them open easily on his own) and he had the front half of the top and bottom shelf cleared out and onto the floor and was slapping the top shelf as hard as he could. I glanced down to check on him and saw blood all over the floor and shelf. McKay noticed his wrist was hurting then and started to cry. I searched for the source of the blood and found a piece of glass about 1 1/4 inch long sticking out of his wrist. His whole sleeve was soaked with blood, blood was running down his arm, and he had it on his shirt and pants. I pulled the glass out, put him up next to the sink, and used cold water to rinse his hand. The blood was gushing out into the sink so I grabbed a paper towel and applied pressure to his wrist. The blood stopped gushing and I tried to call Jordan at work. Since we are down to one car, I don't have wheels at home and we forgot and left the car seat in the car. When Jordan didn't answer after 5 calls, I left him a message and sat down, still holding McKay and putting pressure on his wrist. I tried to put a Band-Aid on it to see if it could put enough pressure to stop the bleeding and didn’t have enough hands to do it and his wrist started gushing again. Back to the sink we went. Then I heard my next door neighbor with her little dog outside. She is a medical assistant (anyone is welcome at this point!) so I went outside and called to her. She was surprised when she saw all the blood and offered to help me. I had blood all over my hand and running down my arm (somehow through it all I didn’t get any on my clothes…) McKay has a little puncture in his wrist, probably about a ¼ inch in diameter. She thought for sure he would need a couple of stitches and offered to take us to where she works a couple of miles away. Without the car seat and insurance (we just have a temporary plan on McKay until we are covered at Jordan’s work in September) we thought we would just see if it would stop bleeding. Jordan finally answered his phone and left work to come home right then. With my neighbor’s help, we were able to get a Band-Aid on his wrist. By the time Jordan got home, the Band-Aid was still stopping the blood so we figured he would probably be okay. We changed his Band-Aid a couple more times tonight and he seems like it will be okay. I have not broken anything here yet and that cupboard only has Tupperware in it so somehow that piece of glass made it past the cleaning when the family before us moved out (my neighbor said the previous tenants were ‘clean freaks’) as well as cleaning before we moved our stuff in. Yet my boy found a piece of glass!

We feel very fortunate that McKay did not get hurt worse. He did not hit an artery - probably a capillary. He is such a tough little guy, the only times he cried were right after it happened and when he would start bleeding again. My neighbor kept commenting on how calm he was. Definitely made it easier for this Mommy!

BTW: I am sure my family is wondering if I got sick at all during this – I am proud to report the only time I felt a little light-headed was after my neighbor came in and I finally had help. On an empty stomach even!

5 comments:

Devin and Melinda said...

As I read you post I WAS wondering how you were able to handle the blood. I am glad that you were able to stop the bleeding and that you had someone to help you. Nothing (especially not glass) gets past a kid!

Nicky said...

That is so scary! Sounds like you handled it like a pro, and that the neighbor was "sent" to you when you needed her most. It's amazing what you can handle when you have to (especially as a mom).

Becky said...

Goodness! As I was reading, I was getting scared. Amazing how blessed we are in times of need. I'm very relieved that McKay is doing better, AND that he has such a good momma. :)

Brooke said...

AAA! How scary! I'm so glad it wasn't worse and that you were able to think and handle the situation so well. Blood is always scary to see on your baby. I loved all the posts under this one too. It sounds like McKay is like Ellee and likes to get into everything! Good luck with him! :)

FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY said...

ummmm, I'm light headed just reading about it! It's amazing that nothing worse came of it. It seems like things like that always happen when we don't have insurance. I'm glad it all worked out!

San Fran looks like such a great time! How great it must be to have so much to do so close to you! kelli