Sunday, February 1, 2009

Things to Remember

1-29-09
This morning I was just going to put socks on so I took them with me into McKay's room and sat on the banana chair to put them on. He saw what I was doing and went into my room, opened my closet door and brought me my shoes, one at a time. Two matching shoes even. Too cute.

We were reading a book this morning with lots of hats in it so McKay went over to the bottom drawer of his dresser and took out his hat and put it on. He knows to run to his room and get his hat when we are going outside.

Today at the library program for young ones, McKay was standing between my legs in front of me and he reached his little arm and draped it around my neck and gave me a little squeeze. He liked it so much he did it a few more times with a grin on his face. It totally melted my heart, as this kid often does. He enjoyed some of the songs so much he kept signing 'more' to me. Unfortunately, I don't have control over how many times we sing the song or hear the story!

1-24-09
Today McKay discovered a new game to play with the rings. He and I were playing together - I would put the rings on his head, continuously telling him in a playing voice to 'hold still... hold still...' until I would get them all on his head and then he'd shake his head to make them fall off and laugh like it was the funniest thing he'd ever seen. We increased the fun by moving into the hall in front of the mirror. Then, McKay started putting the rings on my head. When I saw in the mirror how precariously they were perched, I was very impressed he got them to stay! His little arms aren't quite long enough so I had to bend over a little for him to reach. His face was right next to mine so I'd kiss him every now and again, winning another grin & laugh. He started offering his cheek for a kiss. So much fun.

1-18-09
McKay likes to put his bib on. He throws it over his head so it is on backward and then walks around very carefully so that it doesn't fall off.

McKay has been getting into my cupboards and making a huge mess so I put plastic garbage bags on the handles so he can't open them until I can get child latches installed. He walks around to each cupboard and points to the bag and laughs like it is the silliest thing he has ever seen.

He can also open my pantry doors. The handles are at least 6 inches above his head. He likes to get in and find something to eat. Sigh!

Sometimes when I am really tired in the morning, I will go into McKay's room with him and sit/lay on the banana chair with his fleece sport blanket over me while McKay plays. A couple of days ago I was laying on the couch with my blanket on me and McKay brought me about 4 of his blankets. So sweet!

McKay loves to 'blow' bubbles. I took him outside one day and he started blowing, asking me to get the bubbles. Of course we got them and had fun with them outside. He likes to help blow them, though he doesn't quite blow hard enough to actually get any bubbles.

1-11-09
Today in church, a child across the chapel screamed and McKay mimicked the scream exactly. He is such a mocking bird, he mimics everything we do or say. For the rest of the meeting, whenever I would hear another child scream or make a loud noise, I quickly reminded McKay he didn't have to do it too. Some friends of ours who were sitting a couple of rows behind us noticed McKay's mocking scream too & commented on how much it sounded like the 'original'.

1-9-09
McKay has a knack of pinching the back of my arm just right. I know he doesn't mean to pinch me by the look on his face when I react.

Conversation last night at dinner:"McKay if you eat your carrot I will give you more peas." Yes, McKay LOVES peas. They are the first thing gone from his plate.

1-6-09
McKay likes to watch himself in the mirror. He runs past the mirror in the hall (a full length mirror) yelling and taking a glimpse at himself in the mirror. He watches himself in the mirror and laughs like it is 'so funny!'. That is the first place he goes when he has a hat on or when he combs his hair.

Today I was putting away clothes and I could tell McKay was looking for me so I came up behind him as quietly as I could and scared him when he turned around. We both started laughing. I love laughing with my boy.

2 comments:

Becky said...

It sounds like McKay is a smart boy. Good to hear that he is taking care of his mama. Their love for others is so contagious. I LOVE interacting with my little one.

Kent and Kathy Moser said...

Good to read your blog again, I've missed it. Can't wait to see all of you