Sunday, January 18, 2009

Rancho San Antonio

Yesterday we went to Rancho San Antonio County Park. After all, it is January and it was about 70 degrees outside... we couldn't pass up the beautiful day! With the exception of when I did my winter internship in Phoenix, neither Jordan nor I have ever experienced such lovely weather in January. We love it! We had heard about San Antonio before and that there are lots of great family hikes and it is only about 15 minutes away from us. We printed a map of the park, grabbed the hiking backpacks, picked up a Subway and headed out. Not too surprisingly, lots of other Californians had the same idea. People were circling the several not-big-enough parking lots in hopes of happening upon someone who was leaving at the right time so they could flip on their blinker and snatch the spot. We were about ready to give up when a lady waved to me that she was leaving. Yay!!

We decided to walk to Deer Hollow Farm, which is a historic farm that has been restored and is still used to raise animals people can see. We got a kick out of people taking pictures of the jersey cow like they have never seen a cow before. Crazy city people! :) McKay wasn't too sure what to think of the roosters who were having a crowing competition. I am not sure if he made the connection from his toy animals to the real thing or not but he seemed to enjoy seeing them and did a good job making the animal sounds. They had one cow, several sheep with a couple of baby lambs, goats, a couple of huge pigs, lots of chickens and a couple of roosters, geese, and ducks. They sell eggs and milk as well as baby animals, such as the lambs born last week, to help pay for the place. It was a fun destination for our hike.

We all enjoyed being outside. Between bites of his sandwich McKay would 'explore'. When people would jog by, he'd run after them - SO happy to be outside. It was a perfect day and we were amazed at how much it felt (and sounded) like we were miles and miles away from anything - yet the freeway was right around the 'corner'. When we were walking back we saw a couple of deer across the meadow. Definitely a park we will visit again.

4 comments:

FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY said...

ooooooohhhhhh....that sounds nice. We're all feeling so cooped up! Soak in a little sunshine for me too!

Kent and Kathy Moser said...

I can't wait to come and enjoy some of that sunshine. By the time we come the worst of it will be over here.

Nick Ashley Reagan Coen & Ike said...

That sounds sooo fun! I love watching kids watch (play with) animals! And Nursery- wow that is exciting! Do you find you can't sit still anymore? I can't believe he is that old and I have never met him!

tysonandmandimoser said...

OK, do you really have to keep reminding us cold Idahoans about the nice weather? Really? AND, what you said about those crazy city people feaking out over a cow. I was kinda thinging that about you guys in my back yard with the horse. JK I couldn't resist, and really, I am just totally jealous of you weather. It is really ugly here. We didn't have school today because everything is a sheet of ice, not complaining about no school, but the ice and cold. I am really ready for Spring.