Monday, September 15, 2008

Sunday Dinner

For the first time ever I have been able to experiment with new recipes and have fun cooking. I have always been way too busy before to cook anything that took too much time or creativity. Most of the recipes I have been trying don't take a super long time but they are different so the newness factor makes them take a little longer for me. I have also been trying to find some yummy recipes that are healthy. Yesterday for dinner we had Italian Crusted Talapia and it was really good!

I pretty much followed the recipe for the talapia (except I toasted my own bread crumbs - can't waste that end-slice!) but the rice was the experiment. I used 1 1/3 c. water, 1/2 c. brown rice, 1 cube chicken bullion, 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning, about 1/8 teaspoon garlic salt, and a couple of shakes of paprika. The water & rice are the amounts you normally use for 2 servings of brown rice. Next time I will probably add 1 Tablespoon more of water, but it was still really good and wonderful with the talapia! Add to the fish & rice steamed broccoli, carrots & summer squash and we had a delicious & healthy dinner! Definitely one we will repeat!

9 comments:

Devin and Melinda said...

Way to go! I have been trying some fish recipes lately too...to use the fish in our freezer. It is a nice change once in a while.

Becky said...

Wow! That looks incredibly yummy! Way to go making a healthy dinner. (Funny, I just finished an experimental dinner, too, and thought about sharing it on my blog...)

Love you!

Mandy said...

Inspiring! It sounds like a delicious meal--I would love the recipe for the tilapia too!

Ben and Kim said...

Mmmmm! I'll have to try that sometime.

llamitanan said...

Hey, glad to see I'm not the only one who "x-rays" food. People joke about my food pictures but they are some of the favorite when we have slide shows. You blog looks beautiful. Thank you for inviting me in.

Nicky said...

enjoying cooking...especially experimental cooking...something I will never do. But good thing there are people like you and Kelli who are great at it, so that people like me can enjoy a GOOD meal once in awhile! Looks yummy.

Jennifer said...

How fun! I do enjoy it when I have time to make a real meal. I try to every day, but life has gotten especially busy lately for us. Wish we could come over and have a sample! :)

Sharon Beck said...

Looks delicious! You'll have to share your recipe for the fish too.

Maria said...

There actually is a link to the fish recipe in the post. Sorry for the confusion!