Monday, July 7, 2008
Big Basin
On Saturday we decided to go and check out Big Basin Redwoods State Park. It is about 30 minutes southwest of us. We didn't have a lot of time but now we know we definitely want to go back and spend a day there hiking. There are trails everywhere; a map is a must. We didn't have a map or a lot of time so we did the Redwood Trail and part of another trail. The Redwood Trail takes you past the Mother of the Forest and the Father of the Forest. The Mother of the Forest is the tallest in the park at 329 ft and the Father of the Forest has the largest circumference of 66 ft 9 inches. Talk about big trees! We saw a Stellar Jay and a doe that looked like it had just lost its spots. We took the scenic way home and decided it is the only way home - absolutely beautiful. We all enjoyed our first time seeing the majestic redwood trees.
The Father of the Forest
Jordan and McKay in the Mother of the Forest.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




7 comments:
We visited that same place when we were there last year - it is absolutely beautiful. It was my favorite place we went in the entire bay area. You guys are so lucky to get to spend more time to explore.
Hey did your Blog quit being private? It showed up in my Reader so I remembered to read it. That's good you guys are taking advantage of the wonderful things in CA. We loved living there. How far are you from the Sacramento Temple? We hope to go there in September. I enjoy your Blog when I've remembered to check it. Love, Aunt Marilyn
Wow, so cool!
Wow! It's unbelievable that trees can get that big! I would love to go there someday. So pretty!
That's cool. This last weekend, we watched one of my all time favorite movies, 'Vertigo'. It's an old Alfred Hitchcock movie with Jimmie Stewart, and in part of the movie, they go to that same place I think. Ever since I first saw it, I wanted to visit there some day. Very beautiful! kelli
Those trees are amazing! It'd be fun to take the kids there sometime. Maybe when they're older....although they are definitely getting easier to handle when we go places. I had to take them to the bank today (as well as a couple other places) and there wern't any parking spots close to the entrance so we had to walk quite a ways to get in....we walked in and I almost walked right back out because the line was pretty much out the door....then Kenton tells me he needs to go potty. So I decide to ask for a bathroom and the lady had to take us through the back to the restrooms and wait for us to come out. Then we had to get back in line and I was afraid that that was just the beginning, but it ended up turning out well and I was glad I had gotten that errand out of the way.
Come see us and we'll take you there!
Post a Comment