Wow, what a crazy past few months we have had at the Moser house! This was probably one of the worst tax seasons for King & McCleary. We were all at the office until 2 am on the 14th (even those not involved with taxes were there-helping make copies). Too much work, not enough time, and too many procrastinators. Everyone wanted to file to get their stimulus check in the first ‘batch’ so I think that helped make the last few days worse. I got to bed by about 2:30… Jordan didn’t even hear me come in (he quit waiting up for me a few weeks ago). Somewhere around 6 am I woke up to Jordan trying to get McKay back to sleep and an occasional beeping. Turns out that the battery in the smoke detector in our room decided to die about then and woke up McKay and Jordan. I didn’t hear much, which really says something because I am quite a light sleeper. McKay didn’t go back to sleep so Jordan got up with him and then woke me up around 7:15 so he could go to the gym and school. Talk about trying to peel yourself off the sheets!
Anyone who has ever been in a CPA office on a deadline day, will know it is intense. Don't plan on getting anything done that day... just plan on putting out 'fires'. This deadline day was no different than any other - in fact I honestly think it may have been worse than any other I have experienced. The phone was ringing off the hook with several calls going straight to voicemail and the office was constantly full of people picking up returns. I spent the day doing extensions for people, copying returns, typing extensions letters, answering client questions and doing whatever else I could to help out. I left the office at 6 pm last night to have dinner with my family... a luxury we haven't enjoyed for quite a while. I will have to say though that traffic was a lot worse at 6 pm than it is at midnight!
This tax season I enjoyed my mornings home with McKay while Jordan was gone to school. I usually worked during his morning nap and then left after Jordan got home. Most of my time at the office was spent between the hours of noon and midnight, with a few nights going later. Monday the 14th was my longest day and my longest week was 57 hours... about 20 hours less than last year and almost 20 more than I thought I would work this year. Thank heaven the 15th came when it did... I don't know if we could have handled much more!
I got to spend today with my boys. We went out to lunch and then to a movie and ice cream (we had gift cards for the movie & ice cream... we love mostly (or totally) free dates!). It has been nice being at home and not worrying about working! I am looking forward to the day when I feel 'normal' and healthy again.
Yesterday was Jordan's last class at BYU! He is very excited to be graduating and has been been interviewing with companies in Utah as well as flying to Arizona and California. Our future is yet to be determined...
Our mailbox on Sunday...

Baby Einstein helped keep McKay entertained the morning of the 15th since the darn smoke detector messed up his nap schedule for the day. He gets so excited when we put a dvd or cd into the DVD player no matter what it is. If I put in a cd to listen to music he constantly checks the TV to see if something has come up yet. It really is amazing how quickly he picks up on how things work!

Notice the rooster tails...
7 comments:
YIPEE!!! I am so glad you are done! I thought about you yesterday and hoped you survived...Congrats on sticking it out and thanks again for your help with our taxes (another midnight project lol).
Wow, what an exciting month for your guys! Now you can be done with taxes just in time to enjoy your spring and play outside. It's such a fun age with McKay, everything is so new and amazing! Enjoy! kelli
I'm glad that you are done for a while. I thought about you a lot this week and was wondering how you were doing. I know what it's like to have to peel yourself from the sheets....try to catch up a little. Both you and Jordan need a break!
Whew, What a week. Glad you get a break! Yeah for Jordan's last class. I hope you guys don't move too far away.... :( LOL, love the mailbox pic.
I did work in a CPA office during tax season - so I could somewhat re-live it when you were explaining the nightmare - uuggghhh! (Of course, I wasn't the brains behind the scenes, just the phone answerer and photocopier). So glad it's over for you.
YEAH JORDAN!! So excited for you graduating. CONGRATS!!
I'm glad that you survived and that you can relax now. Good luck with the job search!! McKay is so cute! I love his laugh.
Once again, congrats on making it through another busy season and for Jordan graduating. Also, good luck on the job interview process...ever consider Colorado?? We really love it here.
Post a Comment